Wednesday 1 February 2012

Aunt Barbara Sells Tupperware

Hi everyone! Sorry for the week's hiatus, I'm trying to finish the company's newsletter and assist in planning an NGO meeting so my boss has me working double shifts--finally got a breather. Well, no, but I took one anyway. ^_^

This month there are a lot of things coming up in the blogosphere,  here's a list of those I'll be apart of:

I'm Hearing Voices Blogfest  



This is a Character Blogfest hosted by the gals at livetowrite. It's a three day fiesta where we exhibit the very best and worst of our characters.

Here's how it works:

February 6th - MondayCharacters on the couch: Have one of your characters answer the following questions (to make this work to your benefit, choose a character who is the hardest for you to write :) Max 250 words (Not including the questions—only the answers). 
  1. What is your biggest vulnerability? Do others know this or is it a secret?
  2. What do people believe about you that is false?
  3. What would your best friend say is your fatal flaw? Why?
  4. What would the same friend say is your one redeeming quality? Why?
  5. What do you want most? What will you do to get it? 
February 8th - Wednesday - Dialogue Introduction: Have two characters introduce each other using only dialogue—no backstory, no internalization, just dialogue between the two. Max 250 words.

February 10th - Friday - Emotion Flash Fiction: Emotion is the engine of a story. Pick an emotion and in a flash fiction piece of 250 words MAKE us feel it! We want to connect with your character. This will be a challenge in 250 words.



Origins Blogfest



As the name so eloquently describes, we will all be writing about how we began our journey as an author. It could be anything from how we started making up stories as a child, or writing for the school newspaper, or even what prompted us to start a blog. This amazing event starts on February 13th and is hosted by Cruising Altitude 2.0.


Platform Building Blogspectacular




I don't know about you but this is the one I've been waiting for since last year! It is hosted by the amazing Rachael Harrie over at RachWrites and signup starts on February 6th, so, yeah, get ready for it! If I it wasn't said before let me say it now: THIS ONE WILL BE HUGE!


And now onto Aunt Barbara:

When I first heard of this story I was at work and one of my coworkers was bemusing the lengths this person went through to be successful. "People have no dignity these days," she said, "they'll do anything to make cash, even tuck in their dick and dress up as a woman." Yeah, she's homophobic,--and racist--but I was so tired of arguing with her on these issues I just ignored her, as usual, and asked another of my cohorts the reason for her statement: "A drag queen is the number one Tupperware seller in America! It's freaking awesome! He makes about one hundred Gs selling plastic."

One hundred thousand dollars selling Tupperware? Sign me up!

I think this is such a great story of our times: man needs extra cash, man decides to sell Tupperware part time, man realizes selling Tupperware to women is difficult as said man, man decides to create a relatable character based on the women in his life, man does well, man smashes all records!

I like when he said: "You have to entertain people in everything you do, whether you sell bowls, make dishes, sing, dance--whathaveyou!"  So true, my friend. So very, very true.





And get ready for tomorrow, 'cause I'm gonna gossip give my honest opinion on the one and only hit Lifetime Reality Drama:

     
Oh this is gonna be juicy!

13 comments:

McKenzie McCann said...

Wow, that is either the strangest or world's best business idea ever.

I'm participating in a few blogfests this month too. Guess we'll be bumping into each other a few more times this month.

T.D. McFrost said...

Oh yeah! Can't wait to see you too!

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Also there is the A-Z signup that is on Alex Cavanaugh's blog. I love the naked shoulder's pic that you are going with as your avatar. I could use a little more chest though...some nipple...maybe a little lower.

T.D. McFrost said...

I like this new one too, Michael.

The old avatar was taken when I was 15. I used it 'cause I had bad acne; I still have a bit on my chin but whatever. This year I swallowed my qualms and decided to post a current pic, after all I'm not the only person with skin issues, right?

ryan field said...

So many excitings things!! And the tupperware story is amazing. I once went to a lesbian tupperware party in Brooklyn...lol. I don't think they did quite as well.

Kelly Hashway said...

I really want to do the platform building one, but February is crazy for me. I'm doing edits on TOUCH OF DEATH, have two book signings, and have a school visit. Throw in my daughter's birthday (and party) and taxes, and I may faint by the end of the month.

T.D. McFrost said...

No, Kelly, don't faint. You're a very capable individual and I'm more than certain you can accomplish anything!

Katie Dunn said...

I'm in your group for the campaign and I tagged you in a meme=) Look forward to reading your blog!

YelenaC said...

Hi, I wanted to introduce myself as I'm also doing the Campaign. This is my first time participating and I'm excited to meet new writers and discover new blogs. Looking forward to following you!

Alynza Smith said...

Well hello there! I'm in the same Group 3 in the campaign. Have fun and I wish you much luck with the challenges. Great blog btw, can't wait to read more. :)

Gwen Gardner said...

I'm stopping by from the campaign to say hey. Looking forward to the challenges. Nice blog - love tupperware!

Skippy Bo Bippy said...

Fellow campaigner here, dropping by to say "Hi". Look forward to reading and learning from other writers like you.
--Kevin

Cynthia said...

T.D., I'm in Group 2 of the Campaign and just wanted to stop by to say hello! Loooking forward to the first challenge.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...