Monday 20 February 2012

Inspiration And Dance

The first challenge for the Platform Building Campaign has been issued. Each participant is encouraged to write a 200 word flash fiction piece that starts with the words, "Shadows crept across the wall." The deadline for submissions is this coming Friday, so, thankfully, I have plenty of time to outline and write a good entry.

Last month Ellen Degeneres sent a call for folks to film themselves dancing behind random people at various locales and post it on Youtube. Since then, hundreds of videos have popped up online with the header, Ellen's Dance Dare; all vying for the opportunity to be featured in a video montage on her show, with her favorite dancer receiving the ultimate prize of all: the chance to perform live!

I've seen a lot of good videos but Yousef of fouseyTube is by far the funniest. I give him props, it takes guts to do what he did, especially to the black dude who looked like he was about to beat his ass.


My vote is for Yousef. He is such a nice and humble guy. And he's so hilarious!

There are a lot of authors whose careers I look up to, like V.S. Naipaul, Earnest Hemingway and Angelina Jolie. They're all magnificent in their own special way but the writer who's career I would love to have is, you guessed it,  J.K. Rowling's. I know she's the most obvious choice of any novelist in our century but I want her career because of one factor: the undying love. I don't care about the money and I definitely could care less about the fame--I'm very shy believe it or not. I want people to connect with my work on a deep level; I want to have conversations with them about the characters, world and writing; I want to be able to write something and know that people are waiting with bated breath for its completion. I want that! I really do.


I've often told my friends and family that I wouldn't mind writing for one person, as long as they loved my stuff. Of course, they always laugh and call me silly but, hey, that's me.


So, which authors' career would you love to have and why?


Have a great day!

14 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

LOL that video is fab!

I would love to have J.K Rowling's career, for the exact same reasons as yours lol, however, I don't write those kinds of stories so that makes it a little harder!

I think I am more of a Helen Fielding type of writer, and that level of success would be okay with me. :D

T.D. McFrost said...

Vote for Yousef to win! He's awesome!

Never heard of her, but guess who's gonna put Google to work. ;)

Morgan said...

Awwwwwesome...

And I'll look forward to your entry :D

Cortney Pearson said...

Lol, that video was great! I haven't heard of Ellen's challenge, but it sounds funny! It reminds me of those YouTube videos of the guy who stands behind shoppers and talks on the phone about what they're looking at or buying. "Uh-huh, and now she's picking up a loaf of bread..." and the lady turns around to look at him like he's psycho, lol! I don't remember what those are called, but they're hilarious.

I'm not sure there's an author whose life I "want". I admire JK Rowling definitely, and I'm like you--I'd rather have readers love my story more than any of the other perks that come along with success (although the rest of it would be nice too). :)

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

hahahah...love the Ellen Dance Off. Everyone that has answered that question has said J.K. Rowling. It would be so amazing to have all that money!

T.D. McFrost said...

I am definitely going to scour the web for that video Courtney!

And you're so honest Michael! :D

Brenna said...

Hi there! Campaigner finally getting to making my rounds.

The best reason to be J.K. in my mind was everything her books have inspired. I mean, what other book EVER has it's own theme park? I want that kind of connection to readers who love my stuff so much that there are conventions and rock bands with wizard-themes and geeks everywhere.

Man, I would so love that.

T.D. McFrost said...

Say it SISTAH!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I'd want Dixie Browning's career. She wrote her whole life, then retired to paint (though I can't paint, but if I had her talent I could)...and she lives at the beach. I could totally handle that.

Jay Noel said...

Holy crap, I was laughing out loud.

The pole dancing at Best Buy was fantastic!!!!

Anonymous said...

Now THAT made me smile. Hooray to random acts of danciness.

Hello - cruised in here from the campaign. I'm slooooowly making my way through the list.

Theresa Small Sneed said...

Thanks for sharing that video - hilarious! Nice blog too! I'm in your group for Rachael's campaign ... glad to meet you! ~Theresa Sneed author of No Angel and the forthcoming From Heaven to Earth http://theresasmallsneed.blogspot.com

T.D. McFrost said...

Nice to meet you both! I'm on my way to stalk you now. ^_^

Brenna said...

Ha ha. Glad we're on the same page!

Also: You've been tagged! http://iwriteandread.blogspot.com/2012/02/wip-wednesday-week-3-and-tag-youre-it.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...