Monday 6 June 2011

Pikachu, Bunnies and Kick Ass Toddlers

Click to sign up


Today is the It's All About Fun blogfest hosted by Alex Cavanaugh.

These are just a few of the many (MANY) games I play--both outdoor and electronic. Some of the games I love aren't for everyone but they sure are for your kids, so if you have any (or you're a kid at heart) then gather 'round and let the fun begin.




League of Legends



If you're a fan of the original Warcraft III Frozen Throne, then you've probably heard of a little custom game called DOTA (Defense of the Ancients). This is a MMO where you and your team select a hero and defend your king from the enemy team. Yes, it has some (vague) similarities to chess. The difference, however, is that each champion has signature abilities and styles--and as they level (max 25), you must equip them in magical gear or risk being trampled by your foes.

For many years the game has remained unchanged.

Until League of Legends...

League of Legends is a production of a California based software company called Riotgames, and was developed by the minds behind DOTA. It blends elements of RPG and MMO, for a unique game play experience. Here, you play the role of a summoner and while you must still choose a random champion, you can customize their play style with Runes and Masteries, which enhance their stats, and summoner spells that give the game a bit of variability. What truly makes this game standout are the characters.

Annie
One of my most favorite is a crazy kid called Annie who uses fire and carries a teddy bear that is more than meets the eye.



Pokemon

Latios and his baby sis Latias

I do not care that it is a game for kids. I have loved it since day one and still do twelve years later. I have outgrown many of my child hood fads--action figures, Yu-Gi-Oh, watching cartoons, etc.-- but Pokemon excites me to no end. I guess it's the idea that I can own a pet (I love animals) and train it to kick ass! Either way, Pokemon remains one of televisions's most successful cartoons, and the video games rake in billions for Nintendo with every new release.




Aion




This MMORPG PVPvsPVE is similar to Warcraft - from it's play style to the UI (User Interface - controls);  however, unlike WOW, Aion boasts the most impressive graphics of its generation and an addictive list of classes that will never cease to amaze.

Did I mention you can fly at Lv 10?

It follows the struggle of the Deavas, humans gifted with magic and the power of flight. The great mother Aion created dragons called Balaur to protect the world.
Balaur Guardian Deity General

 But they slowly became aware of man's weakness and defied their duties--destroying everything in hope of claiming the world of Aion as their own. To combat them, Aion gifted humans with the power of Daevas and a great war ensued. The world was torn as a result of this battle.

The top half, Asmodae, became a world of darkness and strife. Its inhabitants adapted to their feral homes by growing manes and extended claws; while, Elysea, the bottom half, is rich with the sun's light--a paradise like no other, where's it's people, the Elyos (aka the bunnies), are gorgeous and happy.

At the character screen you have to choose which faction to join: the feral and powerful Asmodians with black wings, fangs and manes, or the beautiful white winged Elyos. Either way, you will have to battle against the other in impressive aerial battles worthy of World War I. The fate of the world rests in your hands, but you will soon discover there is a far more terrible threat then the Elyos or Asmodians.

Aion is a MUST for any avid fan of MMORPGs.


Elyos vs Asmodian
This has been fun. Thanks for letting me share some of my favorite games. What are some of yours? I can't wait to find out!

16 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Great choices! Thanks for participating in the blogfest.

T.D. McFrost said...

Thanks for hosting it. I've always wanted to share and learn about games people like.

Good luck with your writing!

Anonymous said...

My sons were really into Pokemon. I could never understand the game. Course, that wasn't the only generational issue we had. LOL.

Love the blog. Electric icecapades. FUN!

T.D. McFrost said...

Are you kidding?

Pokemon is the easiest game ever! Just catch what Pokemon you like, level them up and battle trainers to reach the pinnacle of GLORY!

Easy, peasy.

I loved your choices too.

Thanks for stopping by! :D

Timothy S. Brannan said...

Nothing wrong with still playing Pokemon! We still play it here all the time. Plus I still play D&D some 30 years later and have my sons playing it with me.

I talk about that and other game in my post too.

Michelle Gregory said...

the pictures from Aion alone could inspire some great fantasy fiction.

saw your "secret identity" page and wanted to say the Avatar may not be my favorite movie of all time but it's in the top 5 on my list. i think i did a post about it right after it came out. maybe that's what i'll watch tonight with the family.

T.D. McFrost said...

Tim - WOW. I AM SO GLAD TO MEET YOU! Can we talk more about this? I'd love to pick your brain.

Michelle - Aion is absolutely gorgeous. And the gameplay is fantastic. I had to give it a rest or else I'll get no work done.

Avatar rocked! Of all the movies ever created, it's the one I can watch 100 times and not get bored. That's why it's my favorite.

I'll stalk you often 'cause you seem very well attuned to the world of fantasy. Believe it or not that's rare.

Simon Kewin said...

Crikey, Aion looks just amazing doesn't it? Dragonquest IX can't compete with those graphics!

Hmm, D&D as well though. Years since I played that. Perhaps it's time to dust off the D20s!

Timothy S. Brannan said...

T.D. Bug me anytime you like!

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Aion sucks compared to World of Warcraft (which is a far superior game despite the graphics engine differences). I played a little of it but it was pretty boring overall once you got leveled up. I was in a top 200 guild for three years...in Wrath of the Lich King the rival horde guild on our server (Prophetic) completely collapsed because ten of their core went to Aion. Then they later came back and ended up moving over to Premonition's server on Sen'jin. We had a WoW guild get-together at Blizzcon and six of us posed for pictures with the Elitist Jerks guild from US-Malganis and watched Premonition do a Live Raid. It was pretty fun seeing the Premo guys in action.

Jo Schaffer said...

My oldest son loves Pokeman. He's so totally into it!

Games I play...party games, board games, and games I can't mention online. (; All very fun.

T.D. McFrost said...

Simon - Dragon Quest is on the DS, as long as its there it will NEVER have good graphics.

Tim - Will do!

Michael - You are right. At lv 55 Aion is pretty boring, and it's lategame cannot compare to WOW. However, I do like the classes--the overall feel and the ability to fly. I rolled a SM and was kickass. The only class I couldn't beat was the Ranger, or an Assassin that ambushed and silenced me.

I was also an amazing Cleric, and was in high demand on my server. :D

Jomama - Pokemon is fun because you get to play-out the ultimate fantasy of owning a magical pet and training it to be great.

And what do you mean games you can't mention online? Hmm...

CBame13 said...

Pokemon for life!
Definitely my biggest obession since I was a child. I strayed away from it in middle school and high school, but when I got to college literally every guy I knew had found the emulators and was playing. We'd all get back from our various pursuits and meet up in the common room to compare pokemon. Good times

Just recently got back in to final fantasy 10 and am going to be looking in to older titles in the series

baygirl32 said...

gulp, never played either

Nicole Zoltack said...

I used to play Pokemon but not any more. My siblings still do though.

The other two games sound kick ass. I am definitely going to look into them, they sound like they would be right up my alley.

Web Solution and Services said...

Thanks for the info of these legendary gaming characters.
Try the best server hopzone :: top200.gs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...