Monday, 9 July 2012

Excuse me? Can You Get This Published For Me?



"I'm sorry but I'm not a published author."

"Oh, well, I'm sorry to hear that."

0_0

Seriously?

One of the most frequent comments I get, apart from "That's nice", is people feeling sorry for me when I tell them I'm not published yet. AFTER they ask me to publish their book. They often hear I'm a writer from somebody, god knows who, and then comes and rains all up on me with their pity party. Homie, I don't need your tears. It takes a lot of work to be a writer and I couldn't get your stuff published even if I was.

The general public's sensitization of the publisheng industry is frightningly minimum. Heck, they know more about the Kardashians than they do an industry that's been around for centuries! I'm seriously considering doing funny Youtube videos ranting about these things, while educating people about publishing. I'm not into being all exposed like that, but if it'll stop these silly questions then, hey, bring on the trolls.


12 comments:

L.C. Frost said...

Do it, dude. Seriously. I usually get the "Well, *I* know somebody in the publishing industry and I'm sure I could get them to publish it for you." Yeah. Since a.) THAT'S how the publishing machine works and b.) I couldn't possibly want to get published on my own merit.

T.D. McFrost said...

LOL. It's crazy, right?

Victoria Smith said...

OMG I can believe ppl ask you that??? I too am astounded about the publics lack of publishing knowledge well may be one day things will change. Hmm...*shrugs*

ryan field said...

I still, to this day, never tell anyone what I do when I'm with a group of people I don't know. I just say I work in publishing and go blank.

Now, you need to seriously consider these vids on youtube, man :)

Melissa said...

Maybe you should tell them, "Sure. Send me your manuscript." Then crit the h@ll out of it and send it back to them. *evil laugh* :P

Just stopping by to say...I've been busy building a new blog. It was the only way to get the Follower gadget to work again. And it worked! :D

T.D. McFrost said...

LOL. It's fine Melissa. I'm so glad you stopped by. :D

Tabitha Olson said...

ROTFL!!! Oh my, yeah, heard that one myself. Many times. That, and 'why don't you just self-publish to get your foot in the door?' Because, clearly, I don't know the first thing about how the industry works and all this waiting around is useless. Plus, the marketing and publicity involved in that process is a snap.
*sigh*

T.D. McFrost said...

LOL, Tabitha. Tell me about it...

Sabrina A. Fish said...

You MUST start making those videos. The "Oh" with that special emphasis in a lower tone of voice like you are some sort of failure b/c you aren't published, gets me every time. Thank goodness it doesn't happen often. I really dislike rude people.

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

Really? That's kind of funny. No one has ever asked me to publish anything. But I do help people with editing and beta reading.

Allison said...

I also find people don't know anything about publishing or how the process works, but if they are not writers I would not expect them to.

Allison (Geek Banter)

DEZMOND said...

oh, dear TD, I know the feeling. I've had dozens and dozes of wannabe writers asking me to publish their (usually bad) books when they hear I work in the publishing industry, even though I'm a translator not an owner of a publishing house :) I couldn't even make my boss buy the books of some of my bestselling writing friends from USA, so I've no idea why the wannabe writers think I can publish their own work.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...